This is my late father’s recipe for any roast he use to make for us though I must say my favourite is his roast turkey.
- Lemongrass, pound the stalk
- One whole bulb of garlic, pounded, you can leave the skin on
- Spring onions, pound the stalk
- Bay leaves
- Slivers of ginger, pounded
- Black peppercorns and salt pounded together for seasoning
- Extra salt for cleaning the turkey
- Lemon juice or kalamansi juice also for cleaning the turkey
How to prepare the turkey:
Rub salt all over the turkey and inside its cavity, add lemon juice and rub thoroughly then rinse in cold water.
Place turkey in a deep baking dish. Rub the black peppercorn and salt mix inside the cavity and all over the turkey. To make your stuffing: make a bouquet out of the lemongrass and spring onion stalks, place inside the cavity. Add your slivers of ginger, garlic and bay leaves on the sides of the cavity. To seal the cavity, stitch the cavity together with butcher’s thread or use bamboo skewers (toothpick will also do). Add about 2 cups of water into the dish — this helps to keep the turkey moist when cooked. Bake in 180-200 degrees Celsius for about 1.5 hrs — keep the temperature low so it cooks through and not burn. Increase this to 250 degrees just before it’s ready so it browns properly for about 30 mins.